Several weeks ago, I got in touch with Lei, owner of Flawless Beauty Online, through a common a friend. She introduced me to her products via her Facebook page and was kind enough to send in some of her bestsellers for me to test. One of them immediately caught my eye because even before I unwrapped it from its packaging, its smell already tickled my senses. When I looked at the packaging, it said, “Has a yummy vanilla scent that you may want to eat it.”
Well that explained it. Not all of you may know this but I am a HUGE fan of anything vanilla-scented. Some may hate it’s cloyingly sweet smell but I love it! Needless to say, among the two products I got, I was most excited to try this. It was as if Lei knew exactly what I wanted. 🙂
Just to give you a brief background about the store, Flawless Beauty Online was started way back in 2009 after Lei, one of its co-owners, started experiencing melasma (dark patches) on her cheeks and upper lips after giving birth to her son. While looking for a cure, she find the perfect skincare regimen that not only got rid of her dark spots but also made her skin noticeably glow. Since then, she was hooked on skincare and decided to start a business that revolved around it. At present, she has several products at Flawless Beauty Online Store ranging from creams to soaps.
Now moving on to the soap, it’s called Alpha Arbutin Extra Strength and it promises to whiten the skin and dry acne. To be honest, I had no idea what Alpha Arbutin was so I Googled a bit before I used the soap and here’s what I found:
Alpha Arbutin is a pure, water-soluble, biosynthetic active ingredient used in most advanced whitening skin care products. Alpha Arbutin blocks epidermal melanin production by inhibiting enzymatic oxidation of Tyrosine and Dopa.
Simply put, alpha arbutin, commonly extracted from the leaves of the bearberry shrub, stops the production of melanin (that pigment that darkens our skin) thus causing the skin to lighten. It’s also been said that this ingredient acts faster than hydroquinone, kojic acid or beta arbutin.
According to description provided by Flawless Beauty Online, this apparently is considered as one of the safest and hottest whitening agent in Japan. “It prevents premature aging, pigmentation, freckles and liver spots. It also protects the skin against damages, which may be caused by free radicals as it filters the UVB/UVC as well.”
Now on to my PERSONAL VERDICT:
1. Packaging (3/5) – It was nothing too fancy and could use a bit of sprucing up but then again, I guess it would be a shame to spend so much on packaging when people just end up throwing them anyway, right?
2. Product Attributes (4/5) – This product promises to do a lot of things and I was very interested to note if it does indeed dry acne because I am still suffering chronic back acne. After two – three weeks of using this product, I noticed that some of my back acne has dried up but of course, they have not yet disappeared completely. I sincerely doubt that can ever happen short of going to a cosmetic surgeon for help but I’m satisfied enough with how this product dries them up. Again, not sure about the whitening bit because I don’t really think I can go anymore whiter than I am now. No matter what I do, I will never be as white as a Caucasian and to be honest, I like my skin tone exactly as it is right now – slightly tanned and beautiful. 😀
3. Scent (5/5) – The scent is my favorite thing about this product! It just smells absolutely fantastic. The scent sticks to me even after I’ve stepped out of the shower and lasts for a few hours. I have loved going to the bathroom these past few weeks since the scent of the soap welcomes me every time I step in. I’d buy this just for a whiff of that scent!
4. Price (3/5) – A 150g bar of soap will cost you about PHP130. Pretty steep for a bar of soap but I guess you’re paying for the benefits you’ll get. I would suggest that you try it at least once and see if you like it and if it works for you. This would also be the perfect gift for a friend, girlfriend, or even your mom.
5. Quality Assurance – You would also be glad to know that their products are formulated by licensed dermatologists and are manufactured by laboratories credited with Good Manufacturing Processes (GMP). The products are also BFAD approved so you can be assured that this is not just some random shop that suddenly decided to make soaps at home.
Over-all, it’s a product worth trying. I’d buy it again just because I’ve grown addicted to the scent. If you’re a vanilla lover, then you must definitely get this too! 🙂
To know more about the store and their products, please visit their Facebook page: https://www.facebook.com/pages/Flawless-Beauty-Online/387296431473